In this section we have highlighted any current questionnaires that you might wish to complete.
These typically relate to information being requested by any professional bodies or organisations within the SEND sector, or others seeking information for various studies.
The number of secondary aged pupils in special schools.
This questionnaire has been submitted by Alison Black, who is a teacher, a doctoral research student and a PhD Researcher at the University of Exeter.
She is exploring the subject of children changing schools and is particularly interested in the area of transition/transfer of children who have Special Educational Needs from a Primary school into a secondary setting.
As part of the research towards her thesis, Alison is conducting a survey which forms part of a study exploring why there are more pupils of secondary school age in special schools in England than those of primary school age.
To better understand the process it is very important she gets the views of parents/ carers who have had a child with SEN who attended a mainstream Primary, and then moved to a special school at the end of Year 6.
Alison is in her second year of study, and this is the second part of her data collection, the first was semi-structured interviews with several Educational Psychologists, School SEN advisors, SENCOs and Local Authority SEN managers.
She is interested in the views of parents, head teachers in mainstream and special schools, and SENCOs, as well as LA SEN staff - indeed anyone who has experience of/ interest in transition between Year6/7 and school placement for children with SEN.
Alison is also interested in the views of people from the following LAs so she can make comparisons of views in a particular location.
- North East: North Tyneside, Gateshead, Durham Council, Hartlepool Borough Council
- North West: Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council
- East Midlands: Northamptonshire County Council
- Yorkshire & The Humber: North Yorkshire County Council, Wakefield City Council
- West Midlands: Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council, Stoke-on-Trent City Council
- South East: West Sussex County Council, Surrey County Council, Medway Council, West Berkshire Council
- South West: Bournemouth Borough Council, Plymouth City Council
- London: Camden, Brent, Greenwich, Hounslow
Part of Alison's study is a questionnaire that will take between 10-15 minutes to complete. If you feel that you would like to contribute, please click on the following link to get to the questionnaire:
Questionnaire - Transition and the number of secondary aged pupils in special schools.
The questionnaire states that it is only open until the 29th October. Please ignore this date - it has been extended.
Thank you for your time and for your help.
- Policy Exchange is an independent, non-partisan educational charity. We work with academics and policy makers from across the political spectrum. We are particularly interested in free market and localist solutions to public policy questions.
Policy Exchange is conducting a survey into special schools training requirements. Please download the appropriate survey form.
When completed, please email the completed survey form to Ralph Hartley at the Policy Exchange - email@example.com
For more information and contact details of Policy Exchange, see our 'Statutory Bodies' Links page...